What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
Being involved in a car accident is frightening and shocking. You or a loved one may have suffered injuries, and your car may be damaged beyond repair. What you do after an accident, however, is very important if you decide to file a personal injury claim or file a lawsuit later on.
At Horan Law Offices, P.C., Attorneys at Law, in Phoenix, Arizona, we want to make sure you know what to do after a car accident, so you can protect yourself. So, what should you do after a car accident?
- Stay at the scene. Leaving the scene of an accident too soon is not only illegal if others were injured or killed, but you may also miss out on an opportunity to talk to police.
- Call the police. Ask an officer to file a police report, so the crash can be properly documented.
- Exchange information with others. It is important to get the names, contact information and insurance information of all the drivers involved in the auto accident. If there are witnesses, ask for their contact information as well.
- Do not apologize. Apologizing could be seen as admitting liability. This could hurt your personal injury claim or lawsuit.
- Take note of the other drivers’ behavior. Write down anything that seems unusual, such as if a driver seems intoxicated.
- Take photos of property damage. Photos of the damage to your vehicle can be used as evidence to determine how much compensation you should receive for property damage.
- Seek medical attention. If you were injured, your health should be a priority after an accident. Even if you weren’t severely injured, it can be a good idea to see a doctor anyway, just to be safe. Keep records of your medical visits and expenses, and record how your injuries have impacted your life.
- Talk to an attorney. If you were seriously injured, an experienced lawyer can work directly with your insurance company and other insurance companies to help you seek the compensation you need to recover. If a claim is not successful, an attorney can help you file a lawsuit and seek compensation in a trial.
Learn More in a free consultation
If you were involved in an accident, we are ready to help. Call our office at 602-266-4444 | 888-HORAN44 today to schedule a free consultation. You may also request an appointment by filling out an online contact form.